Friday, November 16, 2007

about Act 2 scenes 6 & 7




We are reaching the end of the play. Have you ever end up a book crying? This was my case. Even if I didn’t expect this ending and I didn’t like it either, I found it really shocking. Could it be the time of the year?
I really don’t know. But let’s see if together we can figure out what our characters had learnt, as well as ourselves. Throughout the play both, Frank and Rita had learnt a lot from each other. But the most important thing she had discovered is that she is free to choose. No matter her social background or society demands she is free to decide. It’s her who says to Frank “Yeh. An’ it might be worthless in the end. But I had a choice. I chose, me. Because of what you’d given me I had a choice.”
Now, if we come to think whether could have been a good title for the play, I personally agree with the idea. He had learnt a lot not only about the teaching profession but about life. He had learnt to value his students’ uniqueness and spontaneity.
Furthermore, Frank gives Rita a dress as a present. He thinks of Rita as an “educated woman”, but here he is thanking all what Rita has done for him. As we could appreciate through the play, he is interested in the woman beyond Rita as a student. We always learn when we are not expecting it. That is what happened to Frank and to all teachers that believing they have nothing else to be give, students surprise them with something new!
Isn’t this the most rewarding profession? Just wondering...
 

3 comments:

Elisa de Tiro said...

Hey yohi, I check your blog every day to see if you have new posts and you don't, then I quit checking it for a few days and there are three new posts in it!!! hehe...
I really liked this last post! I think you are so right when you say that the teaching profession is one of the most rewarding ones, and it makes me really happy that you see it this way, since not all teachers are ready to receive. I think that the interchange teacher/student is the most interesting part of studying, whatever you are studying, both teacher and student can learn a lot from that relationship. And that's why , as a student, I really appreciate those teachers who are well disposed to give (teach), as much as to receive (learn). This year, for instance I had the excelent experience of having many teachers of both kinds, and not only did I learn to differentiate them, but I also had the chance to learn many many things, out of programme, from those who where disposed to interchange "knowledge" and experiences with me.
In spite of what most people think I think that teaching is the most important profession of all, if wasn't for it there would be no way to study the other ones...
Keep thinking and learning!!

Love,

Dido

Gladys Baya said...

If it means any consolation to you, Yoha, I'm always moved by this play, and, although I've seen the movie many times, I can't help crying at certain scenes! Mind you, mine are not tears of sadness: it's the emotion of feeling closely identified with both characters and their moral dilemmas all throughout...

I like your statement that Frank has been learning about life... Wasn't that how we had agreed to define education together during our first year discussions? Now, if you ask me, what Frank has learned from Rita is not "to appreciate each student's uniqueness and spontaneity", which I feel he had been able to do from the very beginning, but that he CAN actually contribute to another human being's development. I'm hopeful Frank has come to see once again he does have a mission as a teacher, and therefore will have a reason to make efforts to enhance his life as from this point!

That's all for now... F2f classes are finishing for Yohana and me, and though we'll meet again via this blog and at our final exam, I guess this is the best time to send a very big cyberhug to Dido, and thank her(?) for all she's shared with us during this year... I've certainly learned a lot from you two, ladies! Wish I could keep hearing your voices in future!

Lots of love,
Gladys

Yohi said...

Thanks people for sharing ideas with me....
Keep on showing yourself...
LOL
YOhi